Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Well Do You Care

Today was a GREAT day! I had a meeting with a few people at one of the local insurance companies in order to discuss a semi-captive agreement selling Medicare Advantage and Medi-Medi plans. Two lines of insurance I want to get experience in.

I must say that I was very impressed with their professionalism and can honestly say that it was one of the best insurance related meetings I've had with anybody from an insurance company.
Here's the scoop.

- I would be an exclusive agent (W-2) and could only sell their products.
- Very generous base salary combined with bonuses.
- Ability to keep all my non-resident licenses
- Opportunity to sell other insurance products as long as it doesn't impact my production.
- Reasonable production standards.
- Expected to scout locations, conduct seminars and manage and operate RV for marketing purposes. OH YEAH!
- NO Cold Calling or going to residential houses due to CMS guidelines.
--Networking with local doctors, hospitals...you get the point.
- Attend training meetings.
-Participate in direct mail follow up (warm calling) once a a week in office for 2 hours, while still working out of my home.

Here's my take on the positive aspects of the position.

1) I have wanted to conduct seminars but haven't yet due to inexperience and a feeling of anxiety about public speaking. This position will push me (Progressive Training) in a similar to how weight lifters push themselves week in and week out by using heavier weights.

2) I will need to join Toastmasters once I find a local club that I like and then research, practice, implement, videotape, rinse and repeat until I can build up the confidence and experience I desire.

2) I want to learn the MA market, but I do still love selling individual and family insurance and wish to sell medical supplements as well. I can do all three as long as I meet the production requirements, so I'm happy! I might have to look into selling on the West Coast to take advantage of the time zone difference. More on that later.

3) I need constant input about who is doing what so I can keep the motivation going and push myself. I normally talk to one or two friends daily as it is now to find out how things are going in their respective sale field so I don't feel isolated. This was an awkward feeling at first that some new agents don't expect. I'm not the type of person that can compete against himself and have fun because I need to have that wonderful feeling that I beat XXXX on particular date, week, etc. The only thing difference about my approach is that I try not to openly gloat about my production.

4) I have the ability to work out of the office or my home. Ah, the best of both worlds. Office space up here in CT is UNGODLY expensive, so this is definitely a positive.

And now for the negative aspects I've thought about thus far.

1) Not meeting quota. Whatever...it's not a major issue. Take underwriting out of the equation and my sales will go up about 25%. Allow me to sell free insurance and my sales shoot up another 50%. I currently sell 2-3 deals a week so realistically I expect to sell 3-7 deals a week, which more than meets the quota requirements.

2) Looking like an idiot during the initial seminars. I cannot really do anything about that but suck it up and do it, so that's a non issue as I'm comforted by their training program combined with joining Toastmasters.

3) Spending too much time working and not enough time relaxing. The position will be a 9-5 gig, which gives me another 2 hours to sell other lines...UNLESS I start selling on the west coast which would potentially give me another 3 hours. I'm going to play it by ear and if I get tired of watching Survivorman reruns I can sell in the Western States.

4) Burning myself out from working long hours. I have to force myself to stop working as it stands now so I do not to watch that. Most people around my age are going out drinking and screwing off while I'm working, so I rather sacrifice now and have the "ability" to retire by the time I'm 45.

5) The companies marketing avenues for their agents are out of my comfort zone so I'll be more or less fed to the lions.

6) I eat lions for breakfast and bear for dinner with Rum and Coke.

7) I almost ruined my shoes today because of the rain and snow. I've been wearing the same brand for about 5 or 6 years and highly recommend you pick up a pair. You won't be disappointed.

8) I forgot how to tie a Double Windsor this morning. That can probably be correlated to becoming the infamous underwear agent.

What do you guys/gals think? Should I take the position?

No comments: